I feel like I start a lot of posts with, “So it’s been a while…” Well, it has been a while. Anyways, intern year is hard. It’s hard emotionally, physically, mentally — it’s hard. I’ll write more about that later…but for now, HACKS! How to make intern year easier?
- Keep an e-calendar – I hated e-calendars with a passions before I started residency; I wrote everything into a red book that I had and I kept it together…and then I started residency and I couldn’t keep track of that little red book. So I started using Google Cal and I haven’t looked back. I mark down everything I need to, add in little reminders, and it works for me.
- Doggie day group – Walking the dog is fun, getting your dog walked is funner. If you are in the Cambridge area, for 20 dollars a day you can get your dog to doggie day group with Happy Tails. If not, there are others out there that are great as well. It’s good to have even if you don’t use it every week for back-up purposes — in case you can’t make it home in time to walk your dog, you have someone that you can call.
- Grocery delivery – You pay a delivery fee and viola! Your groceries show up at your door. I use Instacart, but there are others out there. I love grocery shopping, I do, but honestly when I’m getting home after being awake for 16-18 hours only to get up and do it again, it’s nice to be able to pull out my phone and have selzter water and tomatoes appear at my door. I haven’t found it to be significantly more expensive than shopping for myself, especially factoring in the convenience, and also that I don’t buy random things as much because I have a mental list before I add it in. It’s also helpful to have a set time that your groceries will be delivered, when you know you’ll be there
- Fitness – At the beginning of my intern year I was told to kiss my fitness goodbye for the year. Yep, it’s harder to work out. Yep, it takes more motivation. But I’ve been able to keep up with 3x a week, short workouts (20 minutes) for internship thus far by: A) Not going to the gym B) Using short workout videos C) Keeping track of the days I workout per week as a motivator. It’s been critical in keeping me happier, healthier, and more energetic — real talk. I use Popsugar Fitness. It’s a little awkward initially but when you’re low on time (and money!) and want to be fit — ain’t nobody care about awkward.
- Use Amazon Prime – Two day shipping. You can get what you need and fast right at your doorstep.
That’s all for now, let me know if you have Intern Hacks, or life hacks that make it easier for you!