So many things are happening in the news that I don’t even want to put into words what I’m thinking, but I’m sure y’all can figure it out:
1. Zimmerman got off because of a stupid law in Florida.
2. Texas passed the abortion bill
3. The House passed a version of the Farm Bill with NO Food Stamps. That’s right. None.
So the world is happening.
And so is barbecue tofu in my house and seriously, talk about 30 minute meals. I missed the omnipresent BBQ sauce of my years in Texas and Arizona. Every place you went, there were at least be one bottle of BBQ sauce in the place. So I had the biggest craving for a Texizona meal–BBQ Tofu, Cheesy Potatoes, Rice, Roasted Tomatoes, and an Avocado.
Oh man, it was good. And it didn’t take long at all. I promise you can make this meal in 30 min. or less.
What you need:
1 block extra firm tofu
bbq sauce (I used Stubb’s, because well, ya can’t take the southwest out of the girl!)
A handful of cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp. butter
6-7 small red potatoes
Whatever cheese you prefer, I used a cheddar mixture
As much rice as you would like, I used brown.
1 tbsp. butter
The morning you want to make the meal, strain the tofu, cut it into thin slices and put it on a baking sheet that is covered in paper towels. Cover the tofu in paper towels and try to press the liquid out of it. Cover it up with a fresh towel, and something heavy so that the water can wick away from the tofu all day, and put it in the fridge.
When you are ready to make the meal:
1. Put the rice on to cook first on medium heat, add salt and butter while it’s cooking
2. Put the potatoes in a microwavable safe bowl with a little water at the bottom and nuke ’em for about 10 minutes, covered.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 400F
4. While this is happening, pull out the tofu, and put it in a mixing bowl with about 1/4 – 1/3 cup of bbq sauce. Honestly, it’s an eyeball type of thing. If you like it really saucy, add extra sauce, if you like it with a hint of flavor, add less.
5. Toss the tomatoes into the bowl with the tofu and mix it up. Make sure to coat each piece of tofu in the BBQ sauce well.
6. Use tongs or your fingers (I just got in there with my fingers) to pull out the tofu and put it on a parchment lined baking sheet. You want to make sure they have a least a little bit of space in between them because you want the tofu to well-cooked on the outside.
7. Put the tomatoes in smaller, also lined baking sheet with whatever extra sauce you have.
8. Put both of them in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
9. Pull out the potatoes and use a fork to make sure they’re cooked, if they are, smash ’em with the fork and add in the butter and salt. Then add as much cheese as you’d like. I added a little less than 1/2 a cup.
10. Check on the rice, and strain it when it’s done to your liking.
11. Plate the food! I put the potatoes on one side, rice on the other, layered the tofu on the rice, spread a strip of BBQ sauce on top with some cheese, and the tomatoes and avocado on either side.